Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Picnic and Hope 2 Africa!

Tuesday after work seemed like another complete day, but it was great. Brian met me downtown in Atlantic station with a picnic dinner. He made us tuna salad and brought crackers, lemonade and pound cake with strawberries for dessert! He even brought a blanket for us to sit on. Well, in my usual fashion after work, I was running late. So we only had about 20-25 minutes for our picnic. We parked and walked to some benches in the shade beside the condos in Atlantic Station and enjoyed a nice dinner outside. It was fun and really sweet of Brian.

The whole reason why we picniced at Atlantic Station (aside from saving money) was because we had a meeting for our mission trip to South Africa. Our church is working with an organization called Hope 2 Africa, to go to a township (or squatter camp) and work with youth. The organization works with a group of Christian youth to teach different arts to - including plays and dramas about Christ and the gospel, dancing, singing, creating, and more. They pour into these youth, give them hope about their future and also try and teach them skills that might help them get a job (computer skills mostly). Anyway, it's really exciting hearing about these kids and how they live in shacks made of tin or cardboard, maybe some concrete blocks, but that they are passionate about sharing Christ through the arts to their communities!

Needless to say, I was very excited about this mission trip after our meeting. I'm not a very artsy person, in fact I don't know that I'm artsy at all, but they said they can use anyone, so here I am. About a year ago Brian and I had decided we were going to go to South Africa for the World cup, because we both have always wanted to go to South Africa and he's always wanted to go to a World Cup game. However, when we decided to purchase a house, that idea got thrown out. Who knew that God had it planned for us to go all along, just not the way or at the time we thought. :)

If you'd like to hear more about Hope 2 Africa or support me and Brian through prayer or financially, please let us know and we'll email you more information!!

No comments: