Hey Everyone!
I wanted to update you on things going on in our lives right now. We just got back from a mission trip with our church and an organization called Hope2Africa (Hope2Africa.com). We spent about 8 days working with teenagers that live in a township or squatter camp (called Masiphumele) outside of Cape Town.
Hope2Africa, Inc is a ministry that works with youth year round, pouring God's love out on them, discipling them and helping them learn songs and dramas that they perform to share the gospel. It was an amazing experience. We hosted a camp for the week, with art class, computer class, music class, drama, writing and Bible study sessions. The goal is to pour into their lives, share more of God's Word and truth and prepare them to perform their dramas and songs which share about Jesus. The computer classes also help them with school requirements and hopefully give them skills they can use to get into college or university or get a better job one day. It's kind of like an artsy Vacation Bible school. Really the video on the Hope2Africa website shares a lot about what we do.
About a year and a half ago, Brian wanted us to save up and go to South Africa for the world cup. Even though I was nervous about going to South Africa, part of me had a desire to go and see South Africa, so I thought it'd be fun to go for the world cup. Those plans fell through when we decided to use that savings towards a house. Then this opportunity to serve God with Hope2Africa came up and we jumped at the opportunity.
Brian and I both really had an amazing trip. It was a great experience teaching these youth and loving them and showing them God's love.
We posted some pictures on facebook, but I'll add some pictures here too. I don't even know where to begin to better describe the trip, except that I'm already praying and dreaming about going back. It was honestly bittersweet to leave to come home. I didn't want to leave these youth. I wanted to continue to work with them. They motivated and moved me, just in their faith and courage and boldness. God is definitely working in and around these youth and I pray that He moves in a big way through their township.
The world these youth live in is intense. They are constantly surrounded by HIV, alcoholism, abuse, sex, broken families and so many other things. They live in shacks that may or may not have power and almost all of them do not have running water. There is constant noise and chaos because of how many people live in Masi and the numerous bars and drunken neighbors around them. There are some youth that are living alone because their parents have died or they simply have no idea where their parents are and their siblings have kicked them out of their shack. Others live with their siblings only and are the head of household, trying to take care of their siblings, when they are only 20 years old themselves.
Anyway, it was a blessing to have met these youth and I hope to see them again someday. Check out some pictures (they are some of the same ones from facebook):
These are the youth that were in my computer class. :) We were in Masi right before they performed their music and dramas which share the gospel.
This is Anelisa. She's a poet (even though she won't call herself one). She told me a story about how her grandfather would go get them sweet potatoes and they'd cook them for hours until they were very soft. Then they would spread them like butter on bread and it would keep them full all day. I thought that was a sweet story and also spoke to how they live. She lived with her grandfather and that was probably the only meal they would have that day.
No comments:
Post a Comment